This pollo verde recipe tastes ethnic and complex, but won't put you too far out of your comfort zone technique-wise. Tomatillos might be difficult to find, depending on where you live, but most well-stocked produce markets should carry.
2# skinless, boneless chicken thighs
2 TBS olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 poblano pepper, chopped
3 tomatillos, chopped
1/2 packed cilantro leaves
1/2 lime, juiced
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp chili powder
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups butternut squash, diced
1 15oz can of white beans
1/2 cup golden raisins
- chop the chicken into 1-inch chunks. season w/ salt & pepper. reserve.
- heat the olive oil in a pot large enough to contain all ingredients. saute the onion, garlic, and pepper. add the tomatillios after about 5 minutes. cook for an additional 5 minutes and kill the heat.
- transfer pepper & onion mixture into a blender. add cilantro, lime, salt, spices and stock. purree.
- add chicken squash and raisins to the pot. cover w/ verde mixture. add enough stock to cover.
- bring to a boil, the simmer until done -- about an hour.
- garnish w/ fresh cilantro, diced avocado and a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream.
© 2014 c. c. villani @ "mission: insatiable" - http://www.missioninsatiable.com/